As the leader in cable broadband power, EnerSys® has right-sized energy storage solutions to keep your network operational through extended power outages.
Fast, reliable network availability has never been more important, and in many ways an essential element for daily life. Network outages have significant ramifications for businesses and consumers, from online transactions to emergency services to social engagement and life management.
Your network must be resilient to extreme weather conditions, and power grid disruptions and outages. As power events increase, so does your risk of a network outage as well as truck rolls required to keep generators fueled and running.
With so much at stake, having a reliable backup supply of reserve power is foundational to keeping your customers connected when the grid fails, while improving sustainability through a reduction of truck deployments.
1) U.S. energy Information Administration, 2021, Today in Energy, Viewed 8/1/2022, www.eia.gov/todayinenergy/U.S.-electricity-customers-experienced-eight-hours-of-power-interruptions-in-2020
2) M Brown, C Fassett, P Whittle, J McConnaughy, J Lo, 2022, Storms batter aging power grid as climate disasters spread, Viewed 8/1/2022, www.apnews.com/article/wildfires-storms-science-business-health-7a0fb8c998c1d56759989dda62292379
Utility power outages are on the rise in terms of frequency and duration, with growing risk to network availability if your outside plant is not prepared for extended battery runtime.
In the United States, major climate events and extreme temperature cycles are putting unprecedented demand on utility grids across the country.
- Unexpected extreme high or low temperature spells in a region place significant pressure on electric grids as more cooling or heating devices are used to for homes and businesses.
- The growing dependence on unreliable energy sources like wind and solar must be supported by reliable energy reserves to avoid energy shortages in cases where renewables aren’t producing.
- Most utilities carry very little reserve fuel supplies for electricity generation, instead relying on neighboring regions to sell short-term power at high rates in cases where un-forecasted demand exceeds supply. If additional power cannot be acquired then utilities are forced to force power outages, or “shed load”.
- Decades of inadequate capital investments into aging utility transmission lines are forcing outages in places like California to mitigate patterns of catastrophic wildfires sparked by faulty power lines.
“Increasingly frequent cold snaps, heat waves, drought and major storms continue to challenge the ability of our nation’s electric infrastructure to deliver reliable affordable energy to consumers”3
Rich Glick - FERC Chairman - June 2022
3) 2022, FERC Acts to Boost Grid Reliability Against Extreme Weather Conditions, FERC News release, Viewed 8/1/2022, www.ferc.gov/news-events/news/ferc-acts-boost-grid-reliability-against-extreme-weather-conditions
4) Garrett Hering, 2021, US power outages jumped 73% in 2020 amid extreme weather events, SP Global, Viewed 8/1/2022, www.spglobal.com/marketintelligence/en/news-insights/latest-news-headlines/us-power-outages-jumped-73-in-2020-amid-extreme-weather-events-62181994
Increase Battery Runtime Without New Permits
EnerSys® has solutions to help you add backup power without requiring new pole-attachment permits to replace cabinets.
ALPHACELL® 4.0HP Thin Plate Pure Lead Battery
Upgrading your existing batteries is the simplest and most cost-effective approach to increasing runtime, and our AlphaCell® 4.0HP Thin Plate Pure Lead (TPPL) battery provides unparalleled performance and capacity.
Outdoor Pole Mount Enclosures
EnerSys® extended runtime cabinet extensions provide space for an additional string of batteries to existing PWE-3 or PWE-6 cabinets, preserving the original permitted footprint or attachment
UPE Outdoor Ground Mount Enclosures
Add another string of AlphaCell® batteries to your UPE-3 or UPE-6 by appending your cabinet with and extended runtime cabinet extension.
Higher Battery Capacity
The XRT family of extended runtime solutions gives you the flexibility to use higher power-density battery products including thin-plate-pure-lead and Lithium Ion to provide up to 72 hours of extended runtime for your critical network. For cases where upgrading batteries to an existing cabinet is not enough, EnerSys® has solutions that will carry the load through extended outages.
AlphaCell® 210FTX and PowerSafe® SBS 190F Thin Plate Pure Lead (TPPL) batteries
Housed in a larger front terminal form factor for more standby capacity than traditional top terminal models.
The PowerSafe® iON 36-1800 Lithium-Ion battery
Designed specifically for cable broadband, provides the highest energy-density solution available.
PN-4 Powernode Enclosures
The Powernode (PN) Series enclosures offer flexibility and modular expandability for broadband powering applications. PN Series enclosures accommodate multiple battery configurations including top or front-terminal, Thin Plate Pure Lead (TPPL) or Lithium-Ion batteries to meet the highest runtime requirements.